Haringey Council pledge to remove ‘no ball games signs’

In News by Suzanne Sinnott

No-ball-signsSigns banning no ball games have been removed from estates in Haringey as a borough-wide drive to encourage children to live more active lifestyles gathers pace.

The first sign to be removed was removed on Friday, March 11 from Stellar House Estate in Northumberland Park by Tottenham Hotspur Football Club Ambassador Ledley King.

Children from nearby Brook House Primary School were among the first to take advantage of the removal of the sign and took part in football skills session with Ledley and coaches from Tottenham Hotspur Foundation.

The removal of the sign, which was backed by the residents’ association on the estate, follows a pledge last year from Haringey Council and Homes for Haringey to become one of the first authorities in the country to review ‘No Ball Games’ signs and remove those where it is appropriate to do so. The policy is part of a wider drive to reduce obesity locally.

Ledley King said:

“I remember seeing lots of these signs when I was growing up so I’m pleased to see that Haringey Council has started the process of removing some of the ‘No Ball Games’ signs.

“The Club, through Tottenham Hotspur Foundation, does a lot to encourage active lifestyles amongst some of the youngest people in our communities and by taking down these signs, young people will have even more space to play sport with their friends and stay fit and healthy.”

Astrid Kjellberg-Obst, Executive Director of Operations for Home for Haringey said:

“Over the past two years we have encouraged children to play outdoors through estates activities and the improvements of play areas on estates. We want to help people live happy and fulfilling lives and we are really pleased to be able to do our bit to support young people getting more active as a partner in the Haringey Obesity Alliance.”

Helen Stone, Chair of the Resident Association for Stellar House said:

“We’re pleased that Stellar House will see the first ‘No Ball Games’ sign to be taken down in Haringey.

“Over the last few months we’ve been working closely with Homes for Haringey and the council to think about ways in which we can encourage more young people to play safely outdoors.

“We think removing this sign, as well as delivering a range of other improvements and facilities for children and young people on the estate, will help to do this.”

[/text_output][/vc_column][/vc_row]